Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Excitement Abounds!

Howdy all, and thanks for checking in. When it comes to a few things in life, things like science, music and literature, I am happy describe myself as a big geek. I am the one who will attend lectures at the Seymour Center when they discuss algae blooms. I am the one who will attend the little concerts put on my bands that no one has heard of. On occasion, I have even been known to pay to hear authors discuss their works, although I would much prefer they do that for free. With these in mind, I am very happy to inform everyone that Bookshop Santa Cruz has established a once-monthly young adults literature group. The meetings will take place on the second Wednesday of each month at 7pm. Sadly, I'm a bit late with this months meeting, as it takes place tomorrow night. On the plus side, many of the kids in class have already read the discussion book, The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. I would whole-heartedly encourage those able to attend to do so, as community involvement is what drives the success of programs such as this. If you are not able to attend this month's event, next month's title is When You Reach Me, an amazing story that won the Newberry Award last year. Unfortunately I have a conflict of scheduling and cannot make this month's Hunger Games discussion, but would be happy to offer students who attend extra credit for writing up a reflection on their experiences at Bookshop.

The kids are responsible for the following work tonight:

fourth-

- Saxon 73
- continue with Great Horn Spoon vocabulary
- Literature Circle job completed for Wednesday's meeting
- Problem o' the Week

fifth-

- Saxon 73
- continue with science vocabulary
- Literature Circle job completed for Wednesday's meeting
- Problem o' the Week

Respectfully, Mr. Bryant

No comments: