Friday, September 12, 2008

the power of Sophia

I am sure that many of you are aware now that Sophia Wardle, a Rio second-grader and all-around amazing girl, died yesterday after a long battle with cancer. The news greeted many of the students with absolute shock this morning, and I am still reeling after learning last night. The class and I had an awesome 45 minute conversation this morning about Sophia. Your children were sympathetic and insightful, many wanting to share memories both happy and sad about the passing of people and pets that they had known and loved. Many tears were shed. Sophia's brother, Quinn, is in our reading buddy class.
Mrs. Dorney prepared a letter that was sent home with each of the children today that explains in more detail what I have mentioned here, and also outlines the grief services that were made available for students and staff at the school today.
Some of the work that was planned for class today has been postponed until Monday for obvious reason.
As information comes available, I will gladly share what I know. For now, however, I ask of you all what you do best; come together as a supportive and caring community for both the kids and ourselves.

Respectfully, Mr. Bryant

No comments: